Friday, December 2, 2011

Ice Cube - The Predator (1992)

Hey All,

I'm finally back for a second post, and this one's coming straight at you from the golden age of hip hop. Ice Cube, the crazy mothafucka from Compton, was never really up my alley, or so I thought. But after being introduced to his biggest hit ever, "It Was A Good Day" (check the first vid below), in a hip hop history class I'm taking, I changed my tune. The beats all the way through this LP are insane, full of horn blasts, soulful vocal hooks, and thumpin like you wouldn't believe. Ice Cube, not renown as a conscious rapper by any means, hits all the gangsta tropes: getting women, selling drugs, using his AK 47, poppin a three wheel turn with his hydraulics, all the classics. There are even some hilarious skits included as interludes (which have their own sick beats as well), both political and humorous, my favorite being a cop that threatens to book Ice Cube if he doesn't share his donuts (the cop ends up shot). Key tracks are almost all of them. "The Predator," "It Was A Good Day," "Check Yo Self," and "Now I Gotta Wet 'Cha" are probably my favorites. So grab some St. Ives, a blunt, and put your hands up. This ones a party.











- A


No comments:

Post a Comment