Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Appleseed Cast - Illumination Ritual (2013)

So I happened to stumble, courtesy of @Matt_Smi, over the fact that The Appleseed Cast have released a new album TODAY: Illumination Ritual. I'm just listening to it now, but here's a great review over at Pitchfork situating the release in the context of the band's development over the years.

Have a listen to Great Lake Derelict:



The Cast have come in and out of my life over the years - like an old friend - at once nostalgic and wonderful to hear them again. They remain one of the best shows I've ever been to: some years ago at 93 Feet East in London. Jesus, from a quick google it looks like that was 2004. Man...

Anyway I blogged some time ago about how phenomenally awesome these guys are. And, for my money, Steps and Numbers remains one of the greatest post-rock tunes ever written.

But my old bros from Lawrence, Kansas, drifted back into my life with their 2006 release, Peregrine, which had some beautiful tracks like Here We Are (Family in the Hallways) and stonkers like February.

So it's ace to hear more awesome tuneage coming out of these guys on Illumination Ritual. Buy it here.

-L


No comments:

Post a Comment